Tuesday, September 20, 2011

{Logan's Birth Story}

Sorry it has been so long since I have updated my blog, but as I'm sure you know we have been busy. I didn't want to do another blog post until I had this one written and ready...so here it goes...Logan's birth story:
I am now a mother of three and this is the birth story of my last child, Logan Ray Zadik. It was July 21st and I was almost a week overdue with my third child.
1:30 am -I was awoke out of my sleep with some cramping and I decided to get up out of bed and go to the bathroom, to which I noticed I was having bloody show. I thought to myself…”oh my gosh…this is it!!!” I stood around for a little while to see if I was going to have any more contractions, and boy did I. Quickly another contraction came, then another, and another. I decided to start timing them, as well as wake Jason and tell him “um…baby…I don’t think that you will have to go to work today!” To which he replied “oh yea?” and quickly turned over and went back to sleep…gee thanks!
I went downstairs and turned on the t.v. and laid down on the couch to see if I could get a little more rest. My contractions were about 4-5 minutes apart and I wasn’t too uncomfortable. I knew that this was the real deal so I decided to call the midwife to give her a heads up. She said to just give her a call back whenever we were headed to the birthing center. I also called my mom and sister at this time and told them to go ahead and head to the house, considering both of them were about an hour away and I wanted them to have plenty of time to get here. I had no clue how this birth was going to go since both of the other kids birth’s were so different.
2:30 am -I tried to rest on the couch, but my contractions were getting stronger and faster. I was easily able to breath through them still, however I didn’t want to be alone so I went upstairs and asked Jason if he could at least come downstairs and sleep on the couch so that if I needed something he would be there. I had visions of the baby coming so fast that he just pretty much fell out and I was left by myself with no help…silly I know, but hey…it’s happened to people before!
3:00 am –I was talking with Jason during contractions and realized that we didn’t have anyone to come and watch the kids while we were at the birthing center since mom and Kellee were coming to the birth. We quickly tried to think of a solution and called Kristi to see if she could drive over. She just happened to have woken up a few minutes prior and answered the phone and was so excited to come over immediately. Mom arrived soon after I got off the phone with her. She told me that Kellee was unfortunately not going to be able to make it and I was so bummed. She was supposed to be taking pictures and documenting the experience since this was going to me our last child. I decided to call a friend who had also offered to take pictures and she was ecstatic to be offered to join us in this experience. I was still having contractions lasting about a minute and about 3-5 minutes apart, but still able to talk though them.
3:30 am –Kristi arrived and was SO EXCITED! She had never been around anyone in labor before so she was not quite sure what to do. She asked me many questions to which I answered if I could. At this point I decided to sit on the ball and bounce though and between the contractions to get them moving a bit.
4:30 am –Suddenly my contraction got super strong and very uncomfortable. I called the midwife once again and told her we soon would be on our way. We started getting our things together and packing the car up.
4:45 am –We arrived at the birthing center, but no midwife had arrived yet…so I stuck it out in the car through the longest 2-3 contractions ever. It’s definitely not easy to be sitting in a car and having contractions…let me tell you.
4:55 am –Rena, my midwife arrived and quickly scurried inside to get things moving.
5:15 am –Rena checked my cervix…the moment of truth…6 cm…I thought to myself “yahoo…only 4 more to go…I CAN DO THIS!!!” Rena starts to fill the tub up for me to get in. I continue to breathe through my contractions, swaying while holding onto the column for the tub. All I am thinking at this moment is “you can do this…you can do this…not much longer.” I also envisioned a flower blooming and opening up just like my cervix was doing to help stay calm and collected. I think my friend arrived about this time and began to document this AWESOME experience by taking pictures.
5:55 am –the tub was finally ready for me to get into…Oh boy did the water feel wonderful, but when my first contraction came, I wanted to jump right back out! This is definitely NOT where I wanted to be. I decided to tough it out for a little bit and see how things would go.
6:10 am –I had the urge to push, and Rena quickly checked me and gave me the “ok” to go ahead and start pushing when my body told me to…at this point I remember pushing like a crazy woman because I was SO ready for him to be out…
6:14 am –Logan arrived into the world and he was PERFECT!!! Jason got to help catch him and laid him on my chest…it was amazing!!! We checked him over to make sure first of all he really was a boy, then his 10 little fingers and 10 little toes…they were all there and as cute as can be…I remember how quiet he was compared to Caleb who screamed for and hour after he came out.
6:30 am –We waited for the cord to stop pulsating before we cut it…Jason always has the hardest time cutting through those things. They are like super thick rubber bands. Logan and I chilled out in the tub for a few more minutes before I handed him over, rinsed off and got out and headed to the bed.
6:40 am –I held him for a little bit while they went and got the scale to weigh him. I remember trying to guess what he would weigh…he seemed long, but not too heavy. My guess was 7 lbs 14 oz…and I was WAY off…he weighed 9 lbs 3 oz!!! We had another football player on our hands. They handed him back to be and we tried out our hand in breastfeeding…instant latch…that is the best feeling and bonding moment when your newborn latches onto you for the first time. I was also in quite a bit of pain from the cramping so I took some ibuprofen. Logan and I were thoroughly checked out and made sure that no problems arose as the time passed. At one point Jason had to leave to give someone from work something so I had him pick up Mackenzie so that she could come and see her new brother. Jason told me later that when he went to pick her up she was still asleep. He went in to wake her up, patted her on the back and told her that baby Logan came out while she was asleep, to which she jumped out of bed in excitement to see her brother.
7:20 am –Logan and I took our herbal bath and washed up
7:45 am –Jason and Mackenzie arrived with breakfast!!! She checked out all his 10 toes and 10 fingers and we counted them.
8:00 am –We took a few family photos (minus Caleb) and got dressed and packed up to head home.

(don't worry...nothing yucky!)
***unfortunately I couldn't get these to show in order...sorry***

Created with flickr slideshow.

No comments: